By Richard Burke
There’s nothing like the first day of spring to spur a week of firsts – it’s almost like winter never happened.
• First oil change in two years on the old truck and first ever for the new car.
• First chance to prune the apple trees.
• First seeds started Monday and Wednesday.
• First golf round of the season Friday at Picture Butte.
• First tomato, chinese cabbage, pal choi, broccoli, zinnia and cosmos seedlings Saturday.
• First trip to the landfill/recycling centre Saturday to deposit old paint cans and pesticides, the first step in controlling pests in other ways.
• First hepatica blossoms Sunday.
Coming up in the next week or so, the Lethbridge Horticultural Society Legacy Garden Committee will meet for the first time this year to discuss an updated design for the proposed Legacy Garden at the Legacy Park the city is developing on the North Side.
Hope to see you Monday, 7 p.m. at the Lethbridge Public Library for a presentation by Jerry Hilgersom, Hilgersom Paving Stone & Landscaping Inc. on the essentials of creating a good landscape design to fit your lifestyle. The meeting also includes the House Plant Exchange – bring a plant and take a different one home. Cuttings are welcome.
Welcome to spring.